Extended Certificate in Applied Science
Exam Board: AQA
Why study this subject?
Applied Science is a vocational complement to A-levels and ideal for learners looking to broaden their knowledge of a particular sector. It offers a practical introduction to science and supports progression to further study or employment. The course has been developed in collaboration with schools, colleges and higher education, the course helps learners develop the fundamental scientific knowledge and practical skills valued by universities and employers.
- practice experimental scientific techniques and explore how they are applied in industry
- develop their knowledge and understanding of concepts in biology, chemistry and physics
- plan and carry out scientific investigations of their own choosing
- explore ways in which topical scientific issues are presented in the media
- investigate the role of scientists and the different career pathways open to them
How is the course assessed?
Paper 1 Key Concepts
Paper 2 The Human Body
Paper 3 Science in the modern world
Internal assessment: applied experimental techniques, investigating science, microbiology, medical physics
Where can the subject lead?
Students who study applied science go onto study degrees associated with the care sector and the scientific industry. Students can then progress onto careers within those sectors.